Finally got home about 9.30 Thursday morning - plane was delayed by nearly two hours which made it impossible for me to go in to work as I was supposed to. I know - to even think about going to work straight off a flight from the US sounds quite insane - it's a long and not very interesting story, but I was expected!! And yesterday we had to attend a family wedding - we did manage to enjoy it though we were both still feeling quite dazed. Sorry I didn't have time to answer all your nice comments to my last rather hurried post before leaving - but they were all much appreciated:).
ELF was, after all, a very enjoyable experience. I saw during a quick look through my f-list that loads of pics & reports have been posted so I'll just mention a few of the things that were highlights for me:
1) It was, of course, lovely to meet some LJ friends - a couple I had met before, but most I hadn't. I won't attempt to name names - I'm bound to end up offending someone by missing them out!!
2) The preview of the new LOTR DVDs plus a few extracts. I can't express how excited I am about these!! We in the UK will have to wait until almost the end of Sept - a little longer than the US, but I can live with that!!
3) Daniel Reeve's talk was really interesting and he told a story that I know I've heard before but can't remember where - I think it may have been from an LJ friend who saw him on the Red Carpet tour. It was about when he was helping Elijah to do his calligraphy for The Red Book - he said he was rather upset to see that this young actor had a finger missing - he wondered what had happened & whether it affected him getting film roles. Then someone said "Hey Elijah - how is the prosthetic holding up?" and the penny dropped!! I asked him to sign one of the LOTR Fan Club mags which had a big article about his work and a pic - he asked me my name and wrote it in Elvish!! I was thrilled - I'll have to scan it and post it here:)
4) Sean's session was excellent - I'm sure everyone has now read about his hilarious spider story!! I know he's an actor & used to this sort of thing - but I'm just amazed at how laid back & relaxed he is. He seemed so totally at ease with the crowd.
5) Billy was also excellent - it was great to see him again. When he arrived at the hotel he walked right past me & I never even noticed - I wondered why everyone had started screaming!!
6) John Noble was interesting again (we'd seen him before at the last ELF) and it was quite a thrill to have him sit at our table during the ice cream party on Friday night - but I'm very glad that the others on the table were able to engage him in conversation because my mind went totally blank!!
7) Emerald Rose - they were fantastic!! We'd seen them before & really enjoyed them but this time they were even better. The next day we bought 3 of their cds and they all signed & wrote messages on them. And OMG can some of you dance!! You were just as entertaining as the band:D
Of course, I'd by lying if I said I didn't miss Elijah - I even started hoping that perhaps they might announce he'd had a change of plan & could come after all!! I was so excited when they announced there would be a live video link with him on Saturday - but then, strangely enough, he didn't phone in. I say "strangely enough" because apparently it had all been arranged & confirmed with Elijah and he was going to phone at 2.15. If he'd had no intention of doing this why would he go so far as to agree an actual time? He could have been more vague and just said he'd do it if he could. We now know that on Saturday night he was in Canada so I'm wondering if something went wrong with his travel arrangementS, a flight delay perhaps which made it impossible for him to do this. I don't think we'll ever know, but as the Creation man said (think his name is Gary) Elijah doesn't have to do these events - he does them out of love for the fans and this is the first time he's ever had to cancel. Perhaps he is filming in Canada, or perhaps he's there for personal reasons (apart from his dj-ing stint!!). Whatever - it's ok with me. Of course I was terribly disappointed - but he's always been so wonderful to the fans - I won't say I forgive him because I really don't feel there's anything to forgive. But sadly, unless we should win the lottery, I don't think we can afford to attend any more of the US events. If I could have a guarantee carved in stone that Elijah was attending, then we may manage to scrape the money together, but we can't take that risk again. I'll just have to hope & pray that he'll sometimes attend events in the UK & the rest of Europe. I'm really hoping he'll make it to RingCon.
When it was all over we had our two extra days which we'd booked so we could see some of New York. On the Monday we'd booked up for a day-long coach tour - trust us to pick one of the hottest days they'd ever known - don't think it ever went below 100F!! But the coach was well air-conditioned and we enjoyed it. Saw all the main landmarks and the highlight for me was the boat trip out to the Statue of Liberty - I've always wanted to see her:) We also had a tour of the United Nations building. And we saw Ground Zero - it's so sad that they're still arguing over what to do with this. It's such a shock to actually see that gaping space between the tall buildings - I thought back to that terrible day & recalled those poor people jumping from the buildings. As I said to my husband - you just can't imagine it happening.
The following day we'd intended to go back into NY to spend the day shopping at Macy's - but it was so hot & we were so exhausted that we decided against it. We found a very pleasant little shopping mall not far from the hotel & managed to buy some gifts - and I splashed out on a top & a handbag.
We took a few pics - not many at ELF, but if I find anything worth posting I'll include it in another post.
And now I'm about to embark on yet another very long journey - through more than a week of LJ posts!! I have to do this, couldn't possibly just skip them - I'd worry about what I'd missed, and anyway - I know I'll enjoy it:)
|comments: Leave a comment|